Ownership Partner at the Ferguson Law Firm, LLP
Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Law
Cody Dishon is a fierce advocate in the courtroom who continues to recover millions of dollars each year for his clients. He cares deeply about every client and the practice of law. Growing up in a working-class family, Cody knows firsthand the impact an accident can have on your life. He will be with you and your family every step of the way.
Hard Work and Dedication to His Profession
At age 30, Cody became one of the youngest in Texas history to achieve his Board Certification in Personal Injury Trial Law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Less than 2% of all lawyers in Texas are Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law.
Cody has dedicated his practice to obtaining civil justice. Just the past few years, he has served as counsel on some of the largest individual recoveries in several different areas of personal injury law. Below are some recent results:
- Trucking Law - $20,000,000.00 settlement against a trucking company following a catastrophic wreck. According to Verdict Search and all other legal news outlets, this is one of the highest settlements nationally against a trucking company in 2020. Press Release
- Maritime Law – Represented an entire family in a survival and wrongful death action against a major maritime company after a deadly collision with a commercial fisherman in a narrow channel. The case settled on the eve of trial for a substantial, strict confidential amount.
- Premise Liability - $4,000,000.00 settlement in 2021 for a parent who lost an adult child in a shooting while visiting a place of business. According to Verdict Search and all other legal news outlets, this is one of the highest recoveries ever for this type of case. Southeast Texas Record
- Construction Law - $4,800,000.00 personal injury settlement involving a crane operator who failed to adhere to basic industry standards causing the crane to malfunction and hurt our two clients. Reported as one of the highest injury settlements in 2018. 12 News
- Industrial Accident – Confidential 7-figure settlement reached in 2019 for a client who was seriously injured following a flash fire at his workplace. This case was challenging, being first rejected by two other law firms. Press Release
In addition to his injury practice, Cody has handled commercial disputes – all on contingency fee contracts. Some commercial cases include a $2 million dollar settlement for a small business owner against a major company in a business dispute involving loss of use for its specialized equipment. Mr. Dishon also represented clients against a real estate developer in a multi-million-dollar fraudulent residential development. After years of litigation, the developers offered us no money and instead decided to try the case to a jury. On the third day of trial, the developers made a substantial offer that led to a global confidential settlement. It was the only case that went to trial and our clients received all damages sought in the litigation.
His success in the courtroom has not gone unnoticed by the legal community. In 2017, two of Cody’s settlements ranked in the Top 20 and both were featured in Texas Lawyer and Verdict Search magazine. The National Trial Lawyers selected him as a “Top 40 under 40” lawyer. This list, by invitation only, is comprised of 40 lawyers under the age of 40 who have earned a reputation of excellence among their peers and have obtained exemplary settlements and verdicts. Additionally, Cody has been named to the Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star List multiple times including 2019-2021.
In just three years, Cody graduated from Lamar University with top honors with a business degree and then went on to earn his Doctor of Jurisprudence from South Texas College of Law in Houston at the age of 24. During his tenure at South Texas College of Law, Cody received many honors during law school, including receiving the CALI Award for Excellence in Evidence and being declared the winner of the Texas Watch Hot Coffee Giveaway, a contest that required participants to explain why the U.S. civil justice system is important to all people.
Mr. Dishon frequently serves as an author and speaker for legal seminars on jury trials and other topics involving personal injury law. He has spoken both locally and across the state of Texas. A few recent speaking engagements include:
- Jury Trials from the Millennial Perspective—Speaker at the State Bar of Texas event in
Austin, Texas hosted by Kurt Arnold, Lisa Blue and Robert Hirschhorn (2020)
- Expedited Actions – Speaker at Jefferson County Bar Association (2020)
- Maritime Law – S.E.T.A.P. Featured Speaker (2018)
Mr. Dishon is a member of the following highly respected organizations:
- State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Nation’s Top Attorneys
- American Inns of Court
- National Trial Lawyers, Top “40 under 40” Trial Lawyer
- Texas Super Lawyer, Rising Star (2019-2021)
- Lamar University Alumni Advisory Board Member
- Jefferson County Bar Association (Past Board Member on the Jefferson County
Young Lawyers Association)
- Orange County Bar Association
- Honorable Justice John Anderson of the 14th Court of Appeals in Houston, Judicial
- Provost Umphrey Law Firm, Personal Injury Lawyer (2012-2015)
- Ferguson Law Firm, Ownership Partner (2015 – Current)
Lamar University, Summa Cum Laude Bachelor Degree (2009)
South Texas College of Law, J.D. (2012)
Cody spends most of his free time with his wife, Julia Dishon, his daughter, Brooklyn Mai Dishon, and their two dogs. Julia graduated from Lamar University with a nursing degree and then obtained her doctorate in nurse anesthesia from Texas Christian University (TCU). Aside from law, Cody enjoys playing basketball, watching the Texans and Rockets, reading, listening to live music, and traveling.
Mr. Dishon is a member of the following legal organizations:
State Bar of Texas
American Inns of Court
Jefferson County Bar Association
Orange County Bar Association
He previously served on the Jefferson County Young Lawyers Association board.