Cody Dishon is a fierce advocate in the courtroom who continues to recover millions of dollars each year for his clients. He cares deep about every client and the practice of law. Growing up in a working-class family, Cody knows firsthand the impact an accident can have on your life. He will be with you and your family every step of the way.
At age 30, Cody became one of the youngest in Texas history to achieve his board certification in personal injury trial law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Less than 2% of all Texas lawyers have earned it.
Hard Work and Dedication to His Profession
Cody’s success in the courtroom has not gone unnoticed by the legal community. In 2017, two of his settlements ranked in the Top 20 and both were featured in Texas Lawyer and VerdictSearch magazine. The National Trial Lawyers selected him as a “Top 40 under 40” lawyer. This list, by invitation only, is comprised of 40 lawyers under the age of 40 who have earned a reputation of excellence among their peers and have obtained exemplary settlements and verdicts. Additionally, Cody was named to the 2019 Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star List.
Cody will always fight for the rights of injured workers and the families of those who have lost a loved one. He has represented people involved in offshore accidents, trucking accidents, industrial and other workplace accidents.
In just three years, Cody graduated summa cum laude from Lamar University with a business degree and then went on to earn his Doctor of Jurisprudence from South Texas College of Law in Houston at the age of 24. During his tenure at South Texas College of Law, Cody participated in voir dire, deposition, mock trial, and mediation programs. He also received many honors during law school, including recognition on the Dean’s list for multiple semesters, receiving the CALI Award for Excellence in Evidence and being declared the winner of the Texas Watch Hot Coffee Giveaway, a contest that required participants to explain why the U.S. civil justice system is important to all people.
Mr. Dishon is licensed to practice law in these courts:
State of Texas
United States District Court Eastern District of Texas
United States District Court Southern District of Texas
- Honorable Justice John Anderson of the 14th Court of Appeals in Houston, Judicial Clerk
- Provost Umphrey Law Firm, Personal Injury Lawyer (2012-2015)
- Ferguson Law Firm, Personal Injury Lawyer (2015 - )
Recent Notable Representations:*
* Listed below are some of the recent cases in which Cody Dishon has served as lead counsel or was primarily responsible for the settlement or verdict. The client’s ultimate total recovery has been subject to medical liens and other third-party claims. These past results are not a guarantee or prediction of the outcome of any other cases. Each case presents its own unique facts and issues.
- Successfully represented a family in a wrongful death suit against a major transportation and towing company. The suit involved a deadly collision in a narrow channel between a tugboat pushing several barges and our client’s small fishing boat. Defendants argued, inter alia, that the family could not recover nonpecuniary damages under maritime law. After extensive litigation and briefing, the Chief Judge ruled the decedent –a commercial fisherman—to be a “nonseafarer” under Yamaha and therefore the family would be entitled to recover pecuniary and non-pecuniary damages under Texas wrongful death and survival statutes. See In re: Marquette Transp. Co. Gulf-Inland, LLC, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 55468, 2016 WL 1587382 (E.D. La. 2016).
- Partners, Chip and Cody, landed a record-breaking $4.8 Million Settlement Against a Crane Company. The crane operator failed to properly place the outriggers down on the rig causing it to fall over on our clients' vehicle. See more at https://www.12newsnow.com/
article/news/local/48-million- settlement-for-two-injured-in- 2016-beaumont-freak-crane- accident/502-597583272
- Represented a father that injured his back after being involved in a dump truck accident. The dump truck driver sued our client, alleging he was at fault for the wreck. Our client's license was suspended at the time of the wreck. The client’s back pain went away after having surgery. The case settled shortly before trial for $750,000.00 - our client's daughter was in the car and, fortunately, she was not injured. Attorney's fees and expenses totaled: $326,411.64
- Partners, Chip and Cody, helped reached a confidential 7-figure settlement for a mother who lost her adult son in a deadly crash with a commercial truck driver. Several experts were hired to determine the cause of the crash which occurred near a work area. There were many other crashes had occurred earlier that week in this same area. After nearly two years of litigation and appeals, the case settled shortly before trial.
- Achieved a confidential settlement for a family who hired us after their father was killed in an 18-wheeler accident. The 18-wheeler company put all the blame on the family member’s father. The 18-wheeler driver first sued the decedent and his estate for personal injuries he sustained in the crash; we filed a countersuit against the 18-wheeler driver and his company. Discovery revealed damaging evidence against the 18-wheeler company and their driver. After engaging in contentious discovery, the 18-wheeler company settled with the family for a high dollar confidential amount.
Lamar University, Summa Cum Laude Bachelor Degree (2009)
South Texas College of Law, J.D. (2012)
Cody spends most of his free time with his wife, Julia Dishon, and family. He enjoys playing basketball, watching the Texans and Rockets, reading, listening to live music, and traveling.
Mr. Dishon is a member of the following legal organizations:
State Bar of Texas
American Inns of Court
Jefferson County Bar Association
Orange County Bar Association
He previously served on the Jefferson County Young Lawyers Association board.